Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 019624U 13.3-Inch Laptop (Black)


Excellent Value5

We have numerous laptops in our household. Our oldest daughter has an Apple laptop through school. I have a Dell Inspiron through work. I also have an ASUS 1000H netbook for myself an Acer 1410 with SU3500 processor for our younger daughter and an older 15" Toshiba Satellite for my wife. I purchased the 13.3" Lenovo Edge with SU7300 processor as a replacement for my wife's computer. She had been complaining about the poor battery life and poor WiFi signal of the Toshiba for months but did not like the small screen of either the 11.6" Acer or the 10.1" ASUS. She had also been complaining of wrist pain. This unit seemed to have the best of all worlds. Light weight long battery life very nice screen an incredible keyboard and a fairly reasonable price tag. We have not had the laptop very long but my wife seems to really like it especially the keyboard track point and multiple mouse buttons. Build quality appears to be much better than the Acer although there does appear to be a slight flex in the lid as you open and close it. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to perform the initial set-up. In about 30 minutes I had configured WiFi had the computer automatically find drivers for our all-in-one HP printer (a first usually need CD) and had downloaded and installed Open Office Panda Cloud Antivirus free PrevX3.0 McAfee SiteAdvisor and IOBit Advanced System Care (primarily for Smart DeFrag and SmartRAM). This probably has more to do with Windows 7 Professional than the Lenovo Edge. The only minor negatives that I can think of are: 1) the touch pad seems less responsive than that of my ASUS although I did not try to update drivers or change settings and 2) the 32-bit version of Windows 7 limits you to 3 GB RAM although 3 GB of DDR3 RAM is more than sufficient for my wife's needs. Very happy with purchase thus far. Still debating whether AMD version may be better value IF you do not mind less battery life. I have read some recent reviews of Lenovo laptops complaining about bloat-ware but personally did not notice anything egregious on the Lenovo Edge. Especially when compared to the HP laptop that I owned prior to my ASUS netbook OR to the Toshiba Satellite that the Edge is replacing.



UPDATE: Been using Edge for a couple of weeks and extremely happy with everything EXCEPT touch pad. Touch pad works fine as a normal mouse but virtually none of the multi-touch functionality is usable. Shame considering the utility of the multi-touch features on my ASUS 1000H netbook (toggle between windows zoom in & out rotate scroll vertically & horizontally page back & forth etc.) UPDATE2: Starting to get hang of touchpad. I am able to use more multi-touch features. Tapping gestures work fine. Scrolling and paging work OK but sometimes have to try a few times. Still have not gotten rotate to work very well. Multi-touch does appear to work but takes some time and effort.More detail ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List